Welcome to our first producer highlight for 2021.
De Toren Private Cellar
Location: Polkadraai Hills, 12km west of Stellenbosch and 38km east of Cape Town centre.
Size of the farm: 54 acres – or 54 football fields approximately.
Cellar Master: Charles Williams
Winemaker: Martin Fourie
COO: Albie Koch
CEO: Daniel Mueller
- being a new producer in the early 90’s, they took the opportunity to match the soil types and terroir to grape varieties and clones to maximise quality.
- De Toren Private Cellar was also the first-ever gravity fed cellar in South Africa
At Brands From Africa, we want to share the full experience of our products that we import into the UK. We believe all the products we offer can stand proudly amongst the international wine industry’s finest and are great products first and foremost, and from South Africa second.
By concentrating on quality, we hope to enable the producers to gain a strong foothold here in the UK market and assist them in growing and supporting their communities where they are based.
We will be highlighting chosen De Toren wines over the coming weeks and will be offering 6-bottle cases across the range of De Toren’s renowned wines. Here is Charles telling us some more about De Toren Z.
I must however mention we only have a mere 8 bottles of the extremely limited Book XVII, a Bordeaux-styled wine, available – please feel free to learn more about the wine from Charles William, the cellarmaster here. Don't miss out.
Don't just take our word for it, here are some reviews of De Toren Wines by the experts. We hope you enjoyed the small introduction to De Toren and if you have any questions please do drop us a line.
Previously hailed as the most luxurious wine ever crafted from South Africa
- Vivino– rated the 2016 vintage of Book VXII in the top 1% of all wines in the world and gave the 2018 vintage 4.7 stars out of 5.
- Wine Enthusiast USA– awarded Book XVII 2014 and 2015 vintages a staggering 95 and 96 points respectively and recognised it as South Africa’s top wine over two consecutive years.
De Toren Fusion V
First South African wine to receive 90+ points from international wine critics from its maiden vintage & ever after
- Tim Atkins– awarded this wine 95 points
- South African Wine Index – rewarded this wine with Platinum Status for its continuous performance.
- Decanter.com– March 11, 2019 – Georgina Hindle – awarded the 2016 vintage 94 points and rated it as one of the Top 10 wines to seek out from South Africa – Raats Cabernet Franc was also included in this list.
Other Vintages - 750ml bottle and 12 bottle wooden presentation case
- Vivino Wine Style Awards – Claimed 1st Place as Top SA Bordeaux
- Robert Parker– awarded the 2012 vintage 90 points
- John Platter – awarded the 2006 vintage of Fusion V 5-stars
De Toren Z - This Bordeaux-styled wine was also rated 90+ points since the release of the maiden vintage & ever since
- Tim Atkin – 93 points
- South African Wine Index – rewarded it Grand Gold Status for continuous performance
- John Platter - 4.5 stars
- Greg Sherwood (en primeur sample) – 94 points
- Wine Enthusiast – 93 points for the 2015 vintage
- John Platter – 4.5 Stars for 2014 & 2015 vintage
Visit www.brandsfromafrica.co.uk to search our range.